01 09 10

Subtitle

A personal look at the trails and triumphs of creating. Creating a business, creating a Sacred Self Care practice and creating your authentic self.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

My Self Care Practices


I want to share what I use for self care on a regular basis. Some of this is every day while other parts are for certain moments or situations as they come. I wanted to share overall how the pieces come together before delving into each in other posts. Which I will do.

I don't really know that I thought about taking care of myself before. Before, I lost my job, could not get another one and felt like an utter failure adulting seven years ago. Before I kind of lost myself in my anxieties and depression. It was to the point where every small task was labeled as too much work. Like why bother when no one cares and nobody wanted me. And so, various bad habits started.

I just know at some point I got hired and frustrated with the grey world I was living in with its random highs and lows. I had started this business but it wasn't going anywhere and I just decided that I wanted to try properly. So I was looking up stuff online which reminded me there were all these things I wanted to do in my life. The entrepreneurial, green living and spiritual communities on the internet connect in interesting ways. Self care is one of them.

So, after several years looking back I see that my types of self care fall into three categories:
Outer work, Inner work and Empowerment. 

Outer Work
  • Decluttering - Its a constant work in progress to divest myself of belongings I no longer need and also just to put things away and no leave them out. But the cleaner my physical space is the less burdened I feel. It also gives me more room to live in and do many of the other things I like for self care.
  • Green living - As I mentioned in my Allergies post, I have low grade allergic reactions to many things.  Itching, sneezing, sniffling, etc are not really that bad until you're dealing with it on a regular basis. It wears your energy down after awhile. So using all natural personal care and home care products goes a long way to relieving the constant state of agitation. As does taking remembering to take my medication.
  • Cleansing Baths & showers - cleaning is next to holiness, is something I was reminded of recently. I don't know how I feel about that but I do know even mundane baths and shower help clear my mind. Ones taken with magical or spiritual intent are that much stronger. Its easier to disconnect from the negative voices in your head.
  • Exercising - certain exercises have me sweating out frustrations and clarifying my thoughts and emotions. 
  • Going outdoors and being in nature - Its kind of hard to focus on your problems when you're to busy being in awe of nature and the cosmos. Seeing other people going about their lives is also often inspirational to me.
  • Being alone - I am an introvert. Being around people makes me tired; even those I love. For every event I attend I need days after recovering alone to process and re-energize.
 Inner Work
  • Journaling - I have so many thoughts all the time. I used to think that writing down the negative ones was giving them power; bringing them to life. I do still worry about that sometimes but the benefits of getting it out outweigh and outshine anything else. Its like talking to someone but its a book or a blog. I often feel relief that I finally said what I needed to say.
  • Shadow work - This one is a little more complex. The Shadow is the part of the Jungian concept of self that is filled with all the perceived negative parts of ourselves that we hide and don't look at. Shadow work is the effort you put into integrating your shadow with the rest of you. For me that often means I am thinking about why I do what I do or feel what I feel. Taking the time to probe old hurts and negative thoughts. Or even just habits, like reading certain genres for comfort. The epiphany I had on that a few weeks ago, maaaan. This is my therapy.
  • Divination - Sometimes I get all turned around in m head or emotions I don't know what to do with myself. I also often fear making a decision because I don't know what the best outcome is. So I turn to my tarot or oracle cards. They help me get through the muck to my intuition. And overall they help me get to know myself better. Great assistants to shadow work by the way.
  • Meditation - This is another way, I do shadow work. Often doing guided meditations or visualizations. Speaking with my spirit guides and my intuition. Its also very calming.
  • Creating with my two hands - This may seem more physical but I've found that making things puts me in this calm, meditative state. Its focus without the frenzy. 
  • Stories - the soundtrack to my life is millions of songs long and still going. I can't imagine a world without music. Music let's me express my emotions. Let's me feel them unapologetically. Books do the same. I often run to a book, physical or digital, to find some way to let out what I'm feeling. Its cathartic. Again, I can't imagine a world without books.
Empowering Work
  • Yoga - While also meditative I always feel so accomplished when I do yoga. 
  • Dancing - I already mentioned my love of music, dancing is another emotional outlet but its more active. I get so much joy from dancing whether its just freestyle at a club or following a routine and learning choreography. I'm always just like, my body did that. It gives me so much energy.
  • Dressing up - What does this mean? I don't need to be in a ball gown to be dressed up. Mostly, I like wearing various styles of clothing. The more colorful and bright the better. My clothes set my mood for the day. Doing my hair in an elaborate style, wearing jewelry, putting on makeup, all extra steps to "dressing up" that I don't always do. I also like wearing costumes or cosplay, its fun being someone else for a bit. 
  • Art - art is a passion I forgot about and picked up again recently. I already expressed how making things is meditative. Its also empowering. For a long time, I told myself I had to wait and two years ago I decided I wanted to paint now. To draw now. Its just for me but I haven't looked back since. The whole experience was a reminder that I can do what I want. Which leads to my next thing.
  • Learning new things - I soak up information constantly. It makes a little bit nosy because I like to know things just for the sake of knowing. But I've had this list of things I've wanted to learn, to try, to see and it fell by the wayside for awhile. I wanted to learn how to paint with watercolor, how to draw and sketch and now I do. I want t learn more calligraphy. I want to travel more and experience various cultures. I want to speak other languages. And so much more because life is interesting. Having these goals gives me something to look forward too and I always feel good having learned something new even if I haven't mastered it. Even if its negative feelings someone has about me. Its all about self development for me. 
  • Planning & organizing - putting things in order just makes me feel good. Especially if its for others. For myself, I have learned that planning is a brain saver. Like Dumbledore's pensieve, I can pull stuff out of my mind, write it down and organize it easier when using a planner. It gives goals to my every day and keeps up my momentum towards accomplishing them. It all just makes life a little bit easier not having to worry about forgetting or not seeing what I'm looking for. 
  • Hanging out with friends & family - Though I am an introvert, I have those people I feel most comfortable being myself around. They make my day. They love me and that gives me power. I often feel extra energized after being around them because they believe in me without even asking. Its amazing.
So those are my forms of self care. As I said, some are used consciously on a regular scheduled basis, others are as I need them or get the urge. For those I do regularly, I'll be sharing my routines with you all soon. What forms of self care do you use? Share in the comments.

~Lashette
  Scarlet Moon Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment