01 09 10

Subtitle

A personal look at the trails and triumphs of creating. Creating a business, creating a Sacred Self Care practice and creating your authentic self.

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Hair Care as Self Care



Another form of self care that I employ regularly is my natural hair care.

At this point I've been natural for 6-7 years. Long enough that I actually forgot when I started and had to go through Facebook to see if I talked about it there so I had a clue. I did not do the big chop, cut off most of my relaxed hair all in one go. I let it grow out slowly but surely.

I wasn't one of those girls who had been relaxed since birth, lol. My mom was against it being done on a child too young so I didn't have my first relaxer until sometime in high school. Since I went natural again only a few years after college, I had only been relaxing my hair for roughly 10 years. My reasons for going natural were three. Save money, save time and reduce allergic reactions. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Regular shampoos, conditioners and hair care products left me just as itchy and sniffly as other skin and body care products. And the natural hair movement was all about using more natural ingredients which I already knew didn't set off my allergies. I was lucky in the fact that one of the first two natural hair product lines worked so well with my hair. So I haven't become a product junky.

And I do save money thanks to that. I buy shampoo, conditioner, castor oil and a masque only 2-3 times a year. And that's with sharing and they are regular size bottles and jars. The product line I use is not expensive at all and when you add on the sales that happen frequently, it adds up. While I do use essential oils and a couple of other oils hot oil treatments occasionally, they are not purchased strictly for hair care and the amounts used are minimal.

With regards to saving time, well I was fooling myself. Well I do save time, but only when I don't take care of my hair properly. Does that count? I am happy to not have to take the time to relax my hair or have someone else do it. Or gods forbid, go to the salon, which I have never liked. But in my research for going natural I learned a lot about curly hair and taking care to have healthy hair. And it takes time and care and effort no matter what.

So it has also become a mindfulness practice. I've even found ways to incorporate some witchcraft as a bit of spiritual care. Here are some examples.

Meditation. Combing or brushing hair to relax before bed or into a meditative state. Parents often do this for their children growing up. A significant other can do so as well if you so choose. Or you can do it yourself. This is not for detangling purposes as that may be distracting. Just for the repetitive and calming motions.

Detangling can take on its own releasing or uncrossing magic.

Knot Magic. Just the act of twisting or braiding can be meditative and calming. Twisting or braiding can also be a form of knot magic. Visualize your outcome as your braid or twist each section.

All three of the above are apart of my evening routine. A way to wind down and get ready for bed. I'll do it while watching something or listening to music. Twists or braids protect my hair while sleeping because curly hair gets frizzy or tangled otherwise making it more work to style in the morning. But again, the repetitive motions are mindless and my mind and body start to relax, let go of the day and prepare for rest. Almost hypnotizing myself to sleep.

Color Magic. Color ribbons, bows and bands for color magic. Weaving ribbons in especially for an additional boost to knot magic. If you've ever seen those elaborate wedding or medieval hairdo's its something like that. I don't go that far but its always fun for special occasions to try one. Headbands, clip on bows and florals are easier for every day. I am girly enough to love having flowers in my hair. And thanks to the thickness of my curls they stay without much work. There's also hair dye and wigs. Those I don't use as much, especially not wigs since I like my head to breath. But its like taking on a new persona; being a different you in that moment.

Glamour Styling. Associating or corresponding certain hairstyles with particular situations or magical outcomes. Also mood enhancing. Afro are stand out yet still controlled marking you as an individual, front flat twists or braids for a crown/empowering look. Literal crowns, tiara, diadems or just metal headbands give a more regal look. Older styles from the 40s and 50s look mature and somehow efficient look that's great for work.

Earth Magic. Adding essential oils and herbs to hair products for particular outcomes is also a great idea. The same correspondences work here as with any other green magic. Just be sure to spot check on your skin and dilute the oils before usage in case you are allergic or sensitive.

Aromatherapy. DIY hair oils can be moisturizing and intentional with herbs and essential oil blends for each intent. This is my favorite. You carry around the scent for a short time as your hair absorbs the oils. But you get the affect for as long as you need it. This you can incorporate into any hairstyle. My body oils work perfectly for this as do the intentional and ritual oils. Plus you can make your own blends.

So these are some of the ways I have found that marry taking care of my physical self, in this case my hair, and taking care of my spiritual and emotional needs as well. Have you tried any of these? Would you like to?


~Lashette
  Scarlet Moon Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment