01 09 10

Subtitle

A personal look at the trails and triumphs of creating. Creating a business, creating a Sacred Self Care practice and creating your authentic self.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Bullet Journaling


Wow, 2016 is over. Happy New Year everyone. 

Like I vaguely mentioned in my sale post, the goals I had set around this time in 2015 did not go as planned. In fact, I would say I did not achieve any of my goals at all but others would disagree. Suffice it to say I did not do a good enough job setting SMART goals. In my head they meant one thing but do to the limited space in my planner they were written as something else. That being said, I loved the Creativity Planner. It has been the one I have liked the most all throughout my years of planning and being in love with pen and paper.



The problem I have with most planners is the limited amount if space. They have layouts for where you are supposed to write what, and sometimes when, and even how big your handwriting should be (line space). Unfortunately, my handwriting tends to be too big and I need to write details not just shorthand for appointments. Another issue that throws me off with planners is the empty spaces where I didn't do anything. Either didn't write a to do list or did but never did anything on it. That can be depressing to see. I paid however much for this planner and didn't use half of it. Lastly, my planner needs to be A5 at least but not too heavy and that was a big detraction from the Creativity Planner. My planner is always one of several books I carry to make notes, and one or two for leisure. So it can't add too much weight to my already heavy bag.



But, I have found something better. Earlier this year I came across the Bullet Journal while looking for ways to improve my productivity. I'll be real, I ignored it because what I saw was something I thought would not be enough for me. I like to think I wasn't ready for it then. However, I once again came across the idea of a bullet journal in August. This time it was a blog post showing how Kim of Tiny Ray of Sunshine uses it to keep track of her social media and other small business information. I fell in love. 

I went back and watched the original bullet journal videos again with a better understanding. I joined bullet journal junkies and bujo pros and tons of other Facebook groups. I just enjoy how everyone takes the original system and customizes it to their needs. An action that Ryder Carroll, the creator, wholeheartedly supports.The Bullet Journal, or Bujo for short, is an customizable analog system of organization. For me it is a combination planner, to do list and journaling tool. You just grab any notebook and a pen or pencil and get to writing. To explain the bullet journal I think its best that you check out bullet journal.com and watch this quick video where Ryder explains better than I ever could.



As Ryder explained, there are four main modules, or layouts.  First is the future log where you keep track of future events and appointments. Next is the monthly log where you write in any events and appointments coming the immediate month as well as any tasks list for things you plan to get done that month. You can click all the pictures to see larger versions and get a better idea of what each module looks like. I covered my up personal info with pens for privacy purposes.



Next comes the daily log; where you create your to do list as well as any notes or journaling. As you can see you list all of these things using bullets and check them off as you get them done that day. Now, Ryder says to make a key of signifiers, or different types of bullets, you can use so that at a glance you know what type of stuff you planned to do that day.





The last module in the original bullet journal system is called Collections. These are basically lists of similar items you want to keep together. They can be anything from a shopping list to a project brainstorming page. I've seen so many types of collections. One of my favorite collections is my To Read list. These modules are all pulled together with numbered pages, an index and the use of migration.

                                So that's it. That's a bullet journal. But google it or look through the #bulletjournal tag on Instagram and you will see some works of art as well as super efficient spreads that people have added to their bullet journals because they felt they needed the customization. Some people are more visual so they draw out calendars in their monthly view instead of the simple list. Others like to draw, color and otherwise decorate their bullet journals like they would other planners. And like I mentioned before many professionals have created spreads so that they can keep track of their business affairs in their bujos. Tons of links here but these are some of the most inspiring bujos that  have come across. 

The bujo is perfect for me. Since you only create write each day's events as you go, I can pick up any notebook and have as much or as little space as I want. No more being haunted by those empty days when I just couldn't be bothered for whatever reasons. I can use the index and page numbers to help me easily find any notes or journaling that I have done. Knowing how one activity or thought leads to and affects another, I love the ability to keep everything in one place. That's less weight to carry around every day. Lastly, I love how customizable it is. I can literally make my own bullet journal. 

Now since I've only been using a bullet journal since mid-august so its not perfected yet. But I wanted to introduce this concept because I plan on showing more of it here in future blog posts regarding my businesses. Like this content calendar. I tried doing these on a computer but never kept up with them. This has been keeping me on track with social media as well as my email list and sales as you can see.


Writing things down helps me process all the nuts and bolts of running a business better. I can plan everything from events to product launches to rituals in writing. The bullet journal system has streamlined that affect for me and it is wonderfully freeing. Working in my bullet journal has become a part of my mental self care and I love it.

~Lashette
  Scarlet Moon Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment