01 09 10

Subtitle

A personal look at the trails and triumphs of creating. Creating a business, creating a Sacred Self Care practice and creating your authentic self.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Evening Routine


Right, so I'm back to talk about setting up an evening routine to complement your Miracle Morning routine. Why?
"Your first thought in the morning is usually the last thought you had before you went to bed." -Hal Elrod

I happen to agree with this.
See, I'm the type that will lose sleep when I didn't get something done the day before and/or I haven't figured out how I'm going to do tomorrow. I have those dreams where my unconscious deals with what I didn't while awake of course. But when its too much I can't even get that far. I'm too anxious about having so much to do. For example, I often don't sleep before traveling because my brain won't shut up.

So my life experience proved Hal's quote to be true. So I liked his recommendation of setting your intentions for the next day before you go to be. Its a good start. So the first part of my evening routine is a no brainer.
bullet journal
1. Bullet Journal. Its supposed to be a daily practice anyway. So I fill out my trackers and more importantly, cross off what I did that day and write my to do list for the next day. As I mentioned before, doing this gets the weight off of my mind.

For awhile, this was it. Other than reading myself to sleep, which has been a life long habit, I had no other routine. Bullet journaling wasn't enough. In the Miracle Morning book, Elrod suggests evening affirmations to help you get a good nights sleep and prepare you to do your Miracle Morning routine as soon as you wake up. He also says leave your phone across the room. All good ideas.

However, I had gotten into the practice of reading on my phone. This may not seem like a big deal. Just get a physical copy Lashette, duh! However, I was reading ebooks with no print versions, plus reading was comforting. Its my biggest crutch and addiction. So I still struggle with it. But I've gotten back into read physical books.
Peaceful Bath Oil
But it wasn't instantaneous. I needed to block all the free eBook sites on my phone and start going to the library again. Unfortunately, reading didn't always work as a relaxing activity to end my day. Which is what I needed. For every evening. But there was a few activities that fit the time slot and being mindful I found a few that worked.

2. Bathtime. I sell bath salts and scrubs so of course I love baths. I can't do them every day but once a week is an accomplish-able goal.

3. Twist/braid my hair. With the curliest, kinkiest hair (4c) I have to take care of it. See my post about that. But this task is exasperating because I have a lot of hair so it takes awhile. So, I usually do this after changing into my PJs while watching a show. The shows I like are not normally relaxing but the repetitive activity of twisting or branding my hair is.
art journal page
4. Art Journaling or Lettering. Over the past two years or so I've rekindled my love of creating art. And I've found it to be very relaxing. I get tunnel vision and super focused on what I am doing. Practicing my calligraphy or brush lettering has a similar effect. The difference in my mind and body before and after is what made me add it to my evening routine. I am always ready to lay down afterwards.

So find a relaxing activity to do before bed. Something that let's your mind and body know that its time to rest. Look for activities that don't get your heart rate up like unless its something that will wear you down or out like exercise. Meditation is an option for me I guess but I don't want to associate it with sleep so I keep that for the morning. 

5. Turn on the alarm. I go for something that will wake you up but is also something you like. No need to scare yourself awake, you want to enjoy waking up. Music or a podcast or even the voice of someone I love. 

6. Bedtime Affirmations. As I said, Hal offers a few in his Fast Start Guide to the Miracle Morning. Stuff like, I will get a good,deep sleep tonight and wake up at 6am refreshed and ready to start a productive day. 

7. Read. Of course I still read. How crazy are you, lol. Its comfort reading, in bed under the covers. I often have no clue when I fell asleep and that's okay. 99% of the time its fiction so my imagination can unfurl and do its thing. I am unapologetically guilty of reading romance or fairy tales before bed for the comfort they give. Some of my favorite books and authors keep me up late but I still get up refreshed because they make me happy.

So that's my evening routine. Unload my mind, prepare for the next day, indulge in some self care, and relaxing activities and hobbies. What do you do? If you don't have an evening routine, what can you take away from this to create one for yourself?

~Lashette
  Scarlet Moon Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment